Not got much time but want to tick a few boxes and have the best local experience before you head home? Here are our top 5 ‘Must do’ places and moments whilst you’re here…
1. Bushmills whiskey in the Bushmills Inn
Sample Bushmills Whiskey from the world’s oldest distillery (1608) down the road in The Bushmills Inn which also dates from the 1600’s. Step back in time for the most authentic ‘olde worlde’ Northern Irish experience you can get. The Bushmills Inn also has some of the best award winning food in Northern Ireland, so stay for lunch or dinner.
2. Stand on the Giants Causeway
Often quoted as the 8th Wonder of the World and around 15 minutes from Portrush, it would be a crime not to see The Giants Causeway before you go home. In a hurry and want to know what to do when you get there? Here are the Top 6 things to see at the Giants Causeway.
3. Eat in Harry’s Shack and stroll on Portstewart Strand
Harry’s Shack is a relatively new restaurant located on the mile long beach at Portstewart Strand. This made our top 5 as the restaurant is completely smashing it – great food, great location, run by fantastic people. Simply done, great local food – there is nothing better than eating seafood on the beach with the sound of waves and smell of the sea. As for the beach, for Game of Thrones fans you can walk into the dunes onto the set and indulge your fantasies, or simply enjoy the long walk next to the surf to experience the very best of the Causeway Coast. Book early as likely to be booked up during the Portrush Open.
4. Visit Ballintoy
Ballintoy made the top 5 as it captures the beauty, heritage and uniqueness of the Causeway Coast in one hit. A gorgeous wee harbour, an iconic Game of Thrones film set, turn left and walk along the coast for a beautifully rugged coastal walk, one of the most stunning churches you’ll ever see (a remarkable white church sat on top of the headland), an ancient cave, Roark’s Kitchen cafe (in the grey stone building on the harbour photo above), rock pools, the sea. So if you’re struggling for time and want a picture postcard Causeway Coast experience, go here. If you have time and feel adventurous, coaststeering runs out of here. We’ve done it – it’s brilliant!
5. Sundowner drink on The Royal Court terrace, overlooking The Portrush Open
With commanding views over The Royal Portrush Open golf course and the White Rocks beach, a drink on the terrace at The Royal Court Hotel made our Top 5 as it’s probably the perfect place for you to unwind after a day at The Open. You can’t get a better ‘Portrush Open 2019 selfie spot’. If it’s a nice evening we’d recommend a stroll onto and along the beach. A great surf spot too if you fancy a dip!
Other useful portushopen2019.com / Causeway Coast Guides
- Top 10 things to do on the Causeway Coast
- Guide to Northern Irish slang at The Portrush Open 2019
- Top 10 Causeway Coast Seaview Eateries
- Top 3 Best Fish & Chip shops on the Causeway Coast
- Top 3 Causeway Coast authentic Northern Irish eating experiences
- Causeway Coast beach guide
- Causeway Coast surf guide
- Top 10 Golf Links courses in Northern Ireland
- How safe is Northern Ireland and The Portrush Open?
- How to get around Northern Ireland during The Portrush Open
- Guide to the local foods of Northern Ireland
- Currency of Northern Ireland explained
- Portrush Open 2019 | Northern Ireland Weather Guide
- How to trace your Irish ancestry whilst you’re here